Tuesday, March 18, 2014

It's All About Attitude

A couple Saturdays ago, our daughter, Lucy (Lou), had her first audition for a play!

It was for the Jungalbook (the stage adaptation of Jungle Book). I wasn’t allowed into the actual audition. But, when the director came out afterward, she said, “Oh my word! She is soooo creative!”

I said, “I know, right?!”

She said, “I definitely want her in this play!”

I said (in my most nonchalant voice), “Cool.”

 

When Lou got a call-back for the part of Mowgli, she just about lost her mind!

 

And while I did do the good mother thing of helping her understand what a privilege it is just to be part of the play, regardless of what role she might get, in my mind I thought…HOLY COW my child is going to get the starring role in her very first play!!!

 

The next morning, she decided to take her “script” with her to church. “No offense, Mom – but I don’t actually pay a lot of attention in church…I can practice my lines.”

 

Cliff took her to the call-back because I had Confirmation that day.

I got the blow-by-blow when I got home.

She and a couple others read for Mowgli (in my mind – again – I thought, “Others?!?!? Why in Sweet Betty’s name should any other child read for my child’s role?!?!”).

 

The cast list was promised to be emailed by 7:00 that evening.

 

Needless to say, 7:00 came and went.

So did 8:00 (at which point, Lucy was in bed).

And 9:00.

Around 10:00 my email “ding-ed”…It was the cast list.

 

There it was right, first name on the list, written right beside the character name MOWGLI…SOME OTHER CHILD’S NAME!!!!

 

I couldn’t believe it!!!

I was heartbroken.

I kept looking down further and further on the cast list.

Surely they wouldn’t send this to me if my child didn’t make the play at all!

 

Finally under “snake,” there is her name – one of FOUR parts of the snake!

Then, there is her name again – under “vulture.”

And then a third time – under “monkey.”

 

The next morning, Lucy sat up in bed, and the first thing out of her mouth: “Mom did you get the email?”

Oh…how to break it to her?

I’d been worrying about it all night.

I took a breath.

Sat down beside her on the bed.

Pulled her up to sit on my lap.

And just came out with it: “Lucy, you are part of the snake, a vulture, and a monkey.”

Immediately, she leapt down from the bed, spun and jumped and squealed…

”NO WAY!!!! I get to do THREE costume changes!!!!”

“Let me see…let me see…let me see!

Oh Mom…Look! There’s my name! THREE TIMES!”

“And look, Faith got the part of Mowgli. I’m so happy for her. She did such a GREAT job!”

 

There are about a dozen kids in the play.

Lucy has already started designing a sock doll (her current crafting specialty) for every person in the cast – a doll that looks like whatever role they are playing.

I guess there are some kids who will get three different dolls.

 

So, please don’t throw away your old socks…Send them to us.

 

If it’s all about attitude (and I suspect it is), then I have a lot to learn from my daughter.

“If one member is honored, all rejoice together with it” (1 Cor. 12.26b).

 

3 comments:

  1. I always ran my lines in the service too! They continue to surprise and make us proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story and a surprise ending! We can all learn from our children :)

    ReplyDelete