Monday, May 6, 2013

Youth Sunday and the Advocate

So, to be honest...when I wrote "Youth Sunday" on my calendar a month or more ago, (Youth Sunday was yesterday), I did a little "happy dance" because that meant, that I would not have to write a sermon (I enjoy the break every now and then...Plus, I always have this underlying concern that folks "need a break" from my voice from time to time. Also, it is not very often that I get to sit in a pew and just listen.).
Now, a month or so ago, Jesse (our interim Youth Minister, whose last day was yesterday...sniff) came to me and said, "So, you all have your high school seniors preach on Youth Sunday, right?" To which I replied, "we all don't usually...but you sure can!" To which he replied, "Cool." Pause..."What's the gospel lesson for that day." I replied, "Oh Jesse, I'm so flattered that you imagine that I have all of the Assigned Readings in their order committed to memory...I have no idea! But you can find out."
A little while later, Jesse, found me and said "It's from John 14. Stuff about God sending the Advocate, the Holy Spirit to be with us after he's gone. That's a pretty awesome reading for Youth Sunday, right?" "Right," I said.
I honestly didn't think much more about it until I was sitting in the pew yesterday, ready to hear our three graduating seniors (Brian Elgar, Emma Morris, and Courtney Trent) preach.
Now, the first thing that blew me away, is the ease with which these three stood right up in public and individually talked about God (not just in front of the adults there, but, more impressively, in front of their peers!). And they didn't just talk "about" God...they said the name of "God" (maybe this doesn't sound remarkable to you - but I guarantee it is! For 17 and 18 year olds to stand in front of their friends and not be "too cool" to say "God" and "Jesus" and to share how they have seen the presence of the Holy Spirit active in their lives is truly amazing.)!
And then, then, they - each one in their own way - talked about how we have been the "Advocate" for them. They talked about how we have been the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives: filling, encouraging, lifting up, forgiving, cheering on, standing by. They gave language to their parents' work and love and support - likely language their parents never would have claimed for themselves ("You have been the Advocate/the Holy Spirit for me." I'm pretty sure I have never given that language to the work and love and support that my parents have given me and my siblings, or to the work and love and support that my husband and I give to our children. And I am way, way older than 17 or 18!). Their message was powerful and important for us to hear. Jesus has given us the Holy Spirit (John 20.22)...You and me! We're supposed to be doing something with it...Maybe something like filling, encouraging, lifting up, forgiving, cheering on, standing by (I always like to remember that the word translated as "spirit" is "pneuma." It's the same word for "air" (pneumatic) or "breath" (pneumonia). You can hold your breath if you'd like...But eventually you'll die. It's best to breathe it in, and breathe it out. It's the way we were made.).
For some reason, we - in the church - seem to have over-complicated our call. Or, at least the adults among us have, as we argue "Oh, it can't be that simple." Well, sisters and brothers, I think it is that simple. We are to be Advocates...We are to be the presence of the Holy Spirit in the world: encouraging, lifting up, cheering on, etc. We are to breathe in...we are to let every cell in our bodies be infused with the Spirit/Breath of Jesus. Then we are to exhale that Spirit into the world in every single thing we do with abandon.
One of our graduating seniors made a comment something like: "Even those of you who may not think you have done anything to form me into the person I am today, you have. And I want to say, 'thank you.'"
 

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house...
    Shawn Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And yes, remarkable (thank you for remarking on it :) when any of us, especially teenage-us, are able and willing to share out loud our awareness of the Spitit at work in our life. Also wonderful when we are blessed with people who help us develop that language, and a place that welcomes our sharing.
    So glad you are blogging-it's nice to "hear" your voice,
    Carolyn Anderson

    ReplyDelete