Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Things I didn't Say

When I started this blog a couple months ago, I discussed with several folks what its content should be. By and large, it was agreed that I would reflect on things I didn't say in my sermon the previous Sunday. Yeah...haven't done that very effectively. But today I am (or I THINK I am...I'm always a little surprised where these reflections find themselves wandering as I follow along).
So...as you may or may not be aware, I participated in my first "march" last week. It was a march walked in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the desegregation of Charlotte area restaurants (From Sit-ins to Eat-ins. Check it out on google). During that march, Maria Hanlin, out-going director of Mecklenburg Ministries (she is leaving to take on the director-ship of Habitat for Humanity in NC...I will miss her) reminded us not only to remember and celebrate the courage of those who went before us in the civil rights movement, but also, she challenged us to be aware of the courage we need for today, to continue to be the voice and feet and hands of those who do not live in the freedom we do. During the march I met Dr. Rodney Sadler (Professor of Bible at Union Presbyterian Seminary). Maria saw us talking and said, "Now, the two of you together, that could be trouble!" (I am confident that she meant that in the most positive of ways!). A day or so later, I received an e-mail from Rodney inviting me to be part of a gathering of Charlotte area clergy-folks who were discussing how we could be more effective in "Bearing Witness" in Raleigh, at our state's capitol...Not really protesting, but truly bearing witness, reminding our elected officials of their own faith commitments (Many of whom got elected by touting their faith commitments). The following italicized section is part of Rodney's e-mail (the highlights are his).
 
The Bible in countless places calls on God's people to care for the needs of husbandless women, fatherless children, aliens and sojourners, the poor, the sick, and the incarcerated. It is a call that resounds in the Torah/Pentateuch, which is echoed in the words of the Prophets, that is part of the core teachings of Jesus, and that is prevalent in the Koran. Every strata of sacred literature in the Abrahamic tradition (and other traditions) bears witness to God's concern for marginalized people. Further, biblical governments are often judged based upon their tendency (or lack thereof) to attend to the needs of their neediest members. In this regard, in the light of the current moral crises in our state legislature the need for us to raise our collective voices as clergy and bear witness to God and God’s will is undeniable.

As you read this letter, the North Carolina General Assembly is passing bills that will remove 500,000 people from the Medicaid roles leaving them without health insurance; that will remove 170,000 people from unemployment when unemployment rates remain at historically high levels; that threaten to replace the graduated state income tax with a consumption tax that will adversely impact the poorest North Carolinians who will face increased prices on basic goods; that will force college students to return to their often distant homes to vote or cost their parents their $2,500 dependency deduction; that will take money away from the financially strapped North Carolina public schools to provided vouchers for private schools; that will require voter ids in upcoming elections causing an undue burden on countless poor and elderly citizens; and that will even strip voting rights away from formerly incarcerated North Carolinians who have served their time. These and many other bills will adversely impact those who can least afford it and therefore demand a fervent response from people of faith!

It is in this regard that I am writing to you today to invite you to participate in a meeting on Friday May 24th at Union Presbyterian Seminary (5141 Sharon Road). The purpose of this meeting is to discuss ways that we as members of the Charlotte religious community can bear witness to God in response to the legislation that is coming out of the NC General Assembly. Our hope is to remind our brothers and sisters in the State House, Senate, and Governor's Mansion of their own faith commitments. We hope to encourage them on moral grounds to govern in a manner that is in keeping with the precepts of our sacred Scriptures and that is humane for the most vulnerable North Carolinians.

I went to that meeting, and left all ready to preach a remarkable and bold sermon on Romans 5:1-5 ("Suffering produces endurance and endurance produces character and character produces hope and hope does not disappoint us."), the (in)conveniently assigned reading for Sunday. I was going to be all big and bold and brave and fume and roil (look it up...it's a great word!) against those people in Raleigh who would rather sell-out than risk the suffering that would result from their honestly and openly standing up for the husbandless women, fatherless children, aliens and sojourners, the poor, the sick and the incarcerated. I was ready with the rejoinder that Jesus was VERY political (which he was). I thought, finally, I can wave my "I will stop being political when politicians stop making decisions that affect the lives of those for whom Jesus died" banner (wish I could remember where I stole that sentence from. Apologies). I was worked up and all ready to go...Ready to rally the troupes to "be the hope" in the world. And I let the memory of her comment shut me down...the woman who told me that she'd left her last church because the pastor got political. I didn't do it. I didn't roil. I wimped out.

I preached a faithful enough sermon. I really did. But it fumbled and fluttered and felt flat, because I knew what I didn't say. I knew that I, like all the rest of them, sold out rather than risk the suffering that could result from outright challenge. If you read last week's blog...I was not as big a "word out of place" as I imagined myself being (and this on the very same weekend that we recognize/remember those who gave their lives securing a country where I can openly challenge what I do not agree with!).

So, there you have it...what I didn't say. I am happy that God keeps cheering for me, and that Rodney will keep holding my hand and calling me "sister." And I'll keep trying...I may even go and quietly "bear witness" in Raleigh. I want to. I forget that I am just learning how to do this. Baby steps seem so small and unsatisfying. But, I suppose they eventually lead to more confident strides and perhaps even leaps (hopefully graceful). And before long, as I gain more courage, I hope we can dance together.

1 comment:

  1. I have your back no matter what. I understand the quandry you must be in, though. I am so excited that you, and people like you, exist to keep pushing forward for what is right.

    Shawn Anderson

    ReplyDelete